Friday, April 20, 2012

diy: glitter keys

Seeing as I'm hopelessly addicted to Pinterest, I've taken on actually doing the ideas I've pinned instead of leaving them as some "maybe someday I'll actually do this" kinda things. Ideas are only ideas until you put them into action, after all.

We all are looking for ways to differentiate between our keys. Which one belongs to what? How will I remember this? Well, instead of buying those tacky silicone key covers I figured I'd add a little sparkle to my life and glamorize my keys. Here's how I did it...

Supplies:


You can get all of these at Michaels or your nearest Craft Store. Mod Podge is about $10 and the glitter ranges from $2-$3 for individual packages or I got this one which has 6 colors for $9. The Acrylic paint was about $15 but comes in handy for waterproofing any craft project.


STEP 1: Select which keys you want to sparkle and clean the gunk off so they look brand spankin' new. I used alcohol and a paper towel to clean my keys.


STEP 2: Apply a coat of clear nail polish to smooth the key out. They recommend a base coat but I used a top coat and it turned out just fine. Repeat on second side.



STEP 3: Apply Mod Podge (with brush) on one side, dip in glitter (or pour glitter on key). Make sure to shake of the excess glitter and re-apply as needed. Let it dry. Repeat on second side. Repeat this process as needed until you achieve your desired result!


Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment